A terribly honest review of the gigs of my 2008.

Wednesday 19 March 2008

SLOW CLUB/ THE WAVE PICTURES @ THE ENTERPRISE 04/03/08

SLOW CLUB

This is the third time that I've seen Slow Club in 2008 and I'm getting to a point where it is impossible to describe quite how great they are. So I will try to explain it in an alternative way. Having introduced an ex-girlfriend of mine to them at the beginning of the year and her now being just as much of a fan as I a, I decided to buy an extra ticket on this occasion too and introduce my best friend to them. To put it simply, he has asked me to not only ensure that I buy him a ticket for every gig I go to that Slow Club play in future, but also for me to introduce him to more bands that I like in the future. Apparently they're good enough to reinstate his faith in my music taste.

The band currently only have a single that has been released as well as an early demo (or at least that's all that I've been able to get my hands on) and so they draw largely from songs that will be appearing on their imminent debut album. However, where some bands might suffer with this unfamiliarity, Slow Club manage to make their music seem familiar. Perhaps this is in it's simplicity, or perhaps it is due to the catchy, pop-like elements of their acoustic, stripped-down music. Ultimately I feel that Slow Club manage to answer that age-old question of, 'If I love this band this much how can other people not feel the same?' Slow Club, it would appear, make it impossible not to like them.

I will inevitably see this band at least five or six times more this year. It seems that I'm powerless to buy tickets and desperate to see them in action. You should see them, I promise that you will start paying more attention to my recommendations if you do.

http://www.myspace.com/slowclub


THE WAVE PICTURES

When I saw The Wave Pictures supporting Slow Club just over a month ago I was a fan of the way they went about their music even if their music didn't appeal to me greatly. There was a certain swagger and light-heartedness about their performance, from the soloing on lead and bass guitars to the giggle-worthy banter between songs, all of which seems to have been lost in this performance. Perhaps the band are taking the show a little more seriously due to the packed room and their headline slot, but I feel that something vital has definitely been lost in the process.

I expected my friend - the one that I dragged along to see Slow Club - to really like The Wave Pictures. They're currently producing music that belongs in the mid-90s but seems current enough to warrant a revival. My friend, who I remember loving Suede and Supergrass and other bands that once graced the superb 'Shine' series, should lap these up. But instead he appears totally uninterested. I am too and I'm starting to feel embarrassed for expecting him to be a fan. I'm certain that he would have been had he seen them at the Borderline when they managed to impress me. Tonight we both decided to leave early instead.

http://www.myspace.com/thewavepictures

No comments: