A terribly honest review of the gigs of my 2008.

Thursday 27 March 2008

FLASH! FLASH! FLASH! PHOTOGRAPHY @ THE SOCIAL 17/03/08

FLASH! FLASH! FLASH! PHOTOGRAPHY

3FP are impossible to generalise. Marsha of Xfm fame labelled them 'fight-pop'. Now, even putting my hatred for genres that make no sense and are lacking in any indication as to the band's musical stylings aside (if I were to not disregard it I'd label them 'party-core'), I disagree. She also puts Tellison in the same group but you'd hardly lump them together. In fairness she has only heard Aquaman and you could draw some comparisons there I guess, but this band currently seem unable to decide what they want to sound like and instead sound like bits of everything. This is charming in a way, but disjointed too and I'd imagine that people might love one song and then head to the bar during the one after as it's not their kind of thing.

Tonight they air two new songs, both of which hint at a more defined direction. The first to be played, Beeps And Clicks, is one that the band have been championing as their biggest 'hit' yet, so much so that it has even found it's way into their Facebook statuses. And yet tonight it fails to grab me. Unlike the other debutant, Steven Glansberg, which leaves myself and others around me dumbfounded. Sounding like a Kerrang! mash-up of The Bronx's Californian rock 'n' roll with smatterings of the pop-hardcore of Set Your Goals and even a shake of Be Your Own Pet's youthful abandonment, 3FP have managed to write one of my favourite songs of 2008.

I feared them topping that and, had it not been for their especially prepared cover of Flying Without Wings by Westlife in honour of St Patrick's Day, I doubt they would have. Starting at the regular pace of the ballad, the tempo slowly crept up on me until Mike was in full screaming and the band were in sloppy-punk mode, at which point Folu would interject with the next verse at the original speed and take the song off the boil just to build it up again. An incredible adaption that proves that the band really know how to make a song their own, they followed that with traditional set-closer, Aquaman and I left for the Astoria a happy fan.

http://www.myspace.com/flashflashflashphotography

No comments: