A terribly honest review of the gigs of my 2008.

Wednesday 7 May 2008

THE MAPLE STATE @ THE WATER RATS 05/05/08

THE MAPLE STATE


I once loved The Maple State. At Least Until We Settle In... is one of my favourite EPs by any British band, a perfect mix of summery synth and catchy hooks that never sound formulaic, I could even forgive the American tinge to the vocals. But The Maple State are no longer that band. Seemingly, having realised that they were never going to find a market big enough to prosper, they took aim at the mainstream. In my opinion they missed.

Tonight I watch four of their songs. Not really a fair base with which to critique the band but those four songs, when coupled with the releases post-At Least Until We Settle In..., leave me feeling as though I will not give them another chance. They sound like they have rubbed up against so many harsh industry backs that any edge that they once had has long sanded away. To see a band with such promise change to fit suit is always sad, but worse still is that in the current market the old stuff would probably go down better.

http://www.myspace.com/themaplestate

No comments: